Thursday, December 3, 2015

Knowing you can Always count on Me...for Sure.


Is this you? If there are so many people willing to do so much for others, why haven't I met any of them? I can't speak for men...from my observations, men have the enviable ability to hit it off over a beer at the football. It's not the meeting or connecting part I have issues with. Meeting other women in my age group and striking up a compelling conversation comes almost too easily. What I find difficult is maintaining these connections so that they evolve into meaningful, long term friendships. I am always willing to go to great lengths for someone I care about, perhaps I make the mistake of expecting others to do the same. I am always willing to extend myself and make every effort to create and share experiences assuming that can only result in a deeper, trusting and enduring friendship. I am prompt at returning calls, responding to texts and emails unless there is a legitimate reason why I cannot. I remember anniversaries. I make it a point to call and wish my friends well before undergoing a simple procedure, taking off on holiday, taking on a new role, or taking up a new course. I buy thoughtful gifts with my friend's taste or interests in mind, not mine. I celebrate their joy  and accomplishments, shoulder their misfortunes and share their grief....perhaps it is wrong of me to expect as much in return, but at what point does kindness become martyrdom? 



Perhaps there is substance in the notion that we are all emitting signals through the cosmos and the universe responds accordingly. Why is it then that I always get what I don't want? Perhaps I should give reverse psychology a go. 'No, no, honestly, my life is totally missing a self-indulgent, disingenuous, ungrateful bitch right now, please send me one ASAP!' I have more I want to say about this topic but I shall leave it for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment